'I was sacked from Soccer Saturday for remark I made - now Sky Sports show is just bland'
Daily mirror February 21, 2026 11:39 PM

Former Sky Sports pundit Rodney Marsh believes Soccer Saturday has become "bland" since he left. Marsh was binned by Sky bosses in 2005. The now 81-year-old was one of the show's most beloved analysts, known for his no-nonsense approach to punditry.

However, his Sky career came crashing down after he madean ill-judged remark on a Sky Sports show. His comments were regarding the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and subsequent Tsunami, which is estimated to have killed up to 229,000 people.

MAKE THE MIRROR YOUR FIRST CHOICE! Click here to activateor add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings

Despite apologising on air, Marsh was given his marching orders. Speaking to The Telegraph, the ex-Manchester City star says he laments how the show has, in his opinion, become safer, with Soccer Saturday dramatically changingits lineup in recent years.

He said: "It was edgy in those days, pushing the envelope a bit. Now it's all b******s, all conforming to what people want to hear. It's become very bland in my view."

• Paul Merson shows true colours towards Jeff Stelling's Soccer Saturday replacement

• Jeff Stelling confirms extended talkSPORT absence live on air after listener messages

Marsh also enjoyed a close relationship with the late Man United legend George Best. He told how, alongside Best, he would attempt to wind up ex-Soccer Saturday host Jeff Stelling, peeling back the curtain on a more anarchic version of the much-loved show.

"George was p****d half the time. Once, he went to the rugby club over the road and came back, obviously having had a couple of pops. As we get on air he said, 'Marshy, why don't we do this today? Every time we name a car we get £50 off the other?'

"He said, 'He goes down the wing like a Ferrari', and slapped me on the knee. I said, 'Yes, but what about Jody Morris?' We got to about nine before Jeff sussed it."

The ex-QPR player also mentioned that he was called into the office of Sky Sports managing director Vic Wakeling just as his contract was up for renewal. It was the meeting where his infamous Tsunami comment was brought up.

Marsh said: "He [Wakeling] said, 'We'd had four Ofcom complaints over the whole of Sky Sports in the last year, and three of them were for you'".

During a live broadcast of You're On Sky Sports, Marsh had said: 'David Beckham has turned down a move to Newcastle United because of trouble with the 'Toon Army in Asia'".

He later said: "I apologise unreservedly for any offence I caused by my thoughtless and inappropriate comment I made. My intention was to make a light-hearted football joke."

Marsh elaborated on the ill-fated moment, adding: "It was a Davd Beckham joke really, about not understanding the difference between the tsunami and the Toon Army." Asked if he had any hard feelings over being sacked, he said: "No, no, no, no, I've always been, 'The king is dead, long live the king'".

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK! Latest news, analysis and much more on Mirror Football's Facebook page

Soccer Saturday has undergone major changes in recent years, with long-term host Stelling departing in 2023. Former alumni Phil Thompson, Charlie Nicholas, Matt Le Tissier and Tony Cottee also left their positions, as the broadcaster invested in a major personnel shake-up for the long-running programme.

Marsh went on to appear in the 2007 series of ITV's I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! while also featuring on Celebrity Come Dine with Me, Celebrity Coach Trip, Sing If You Can and Cash in the Attic. He is currently the co-host of Grumpy Pundits on Sirius Radio.

Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us, and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

© Copyright @2026 LIDEA. All Rights Reserved.