Twisted former youth leader jailed again after abusing children dozens of times
Reach Daily Express May 21, 2026 06:39 AM

A vile paedophile has been sentenced to 15 years for the historic sexual abuse of two boys, meaning he may die in prison. Paul Vaughan, a former youth leader, who is already serving a sentence for historic sexual abuse, was given an additional term at Caernarfon Crown Court on Wednesday, May 20.

One of the victims, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was subjected to sexual abuse by Vaughan, now aged 76, between 1983 and 1984. The other was abused by Vaughan in 1983. The sexual abuse happened at locations including Vaughan's home, while they were out camping and at a club, the court heard. They were aged 12 when the abuse started.

Prosecuting Jemma Gordon said Vaughan provided them with pornographic material, before getting them to commit sex acts, or performing sex acts with them.

NorthWalesLive reports Vaughan, of Emlyn Grove, Rhyl, admitted a total of 15 charges - seven of gross indecency with a boy under the age of 14 years of age, six of indecent assault on boy under the age of 14 years and two of inciting a boy under 14 years of age to commit an act of gross indecency.

Eight of the charges related to the victim who was abused in 1983, who gave a heartfelt personal statement in court, telling of the appalling impact of Vaughan's crimes throughout his life.

He told how today's sentence may finally help him to move forward with his life and branded Vaughan "evil".

Judge Nicola Jones, who was presiding over the case, praised his bravery and urged him not to let Vaughan's terrible abuse "define your life, he's not worth it," she said.

The other seven charges related to the victim, who was abused between 1983 and 1984, who was not in court today

The court heard Vaughan had been sentenced in 2023 for historic sexual offences against two young boys. He had been charged with a number of offences dating from 1977 to 1984, during his time as a youth leader in Rhyl.

At that time he had admitted five counts of indecent assault against two boys and two counts of indecency with a child and was sentenced to a total of 20 years and six months and had to register as a sex offender for life. He was also indefinitely banned from working with children and adults.

Defending, Patrick Geddes, said Vaughan had pleaded guilty, was in a poor state of health and now had dementia. Vaughan said he had been sexually abused himself as a boy, but had been ignored when he tried to raise the issue, which had affected him.

Judge Jones sentenced Vaughan to seven and a half years each, for his offences against the two victims, to run consecutively, making a total of 15 years. Two-thirds must be served in custody, with the rest on licence. He is also subject to indefinite notification requirements.

She branded his acts "vile" and said "You were preying on young boys for your own sexual gratification".

There was no order for costs, statutory surcharge, or compensation, but the victims were directed to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.

Speaking after sentencing, investigating officer Detective Constable Andrew Vaughan said: "Paul Vaughan is a dangerous sexual predator. He used his position to perpetrate offences against victims who trusted him as a figure of authority.

"Thanks to the bravery of previous victims in reporting the instances of abuse, more people have found the courage to come forward resulting in today's sentence.

"I would ask anyone else who has not already spoken to us, to make contact, safe in the knowledge that you will be listened to.

"As this case demonstrates, we will do everything in our power to pursue offenders and protect the most vulnerable in our society.

"I hope today's sentencing brings further reassurance to the victims and the wider community that Vaughan can no longer spread fear or harm any further."

© Copyright @2026 LIDEA. All Rights Reserved.