Alexis Mac Allister and Enzo Fernandez share several similarities. Both are hard-working yet technically polished midfielders who played vital roles in guiding Argentina to the 2022 World Cup triumph. Currently starring for top Premier League clubs, the duo have often been linked with Real Madrid — and up until last summer, such rumours seemed entirely logical.
Mac Allister’s adaptability had just helped Liverpool clinch only their second Premier League crown, while Fernandez was instrumental in Chelsea’s Conference League victory before stunning Paris Saint-Germain in the Club World Cup final.
However, much has changed since then. As their teams prepare to face each other at Anfield on Saturday, it’s clear that neither Argentine’s current season has gone as planned. That raises the pressing question — would recruiting Mac Allister or Fernandez really resolve any of Real Madrid’s midfield issues?
Dramatic decline
At present, Liverpool are in a relatively better position than Chelsea, sitting fourth in the Premier League — 10 points ahead of the Blues — and on course to qualify for next season’s Champions League with a top-five finish. Yet, this has still been a disastrous season for the Reds, who were tipped to challenge for the title after spending more than £450 million on a squad built to win trophies.
Instead, they will finish the season empty-handed after suffering an unacceptable 18 defeats across all competitions. Several factors have contributed to Liverpool’s sharp downturn — from poor set-piece defending and struggles against deep-lying opponents to key injuries and a reported breakdown in relations between Mohamed Salah and Arne Slot.
The emotional toll of losing Diogo Jota has also undoubtedly affected the players, though the true extent of that impact may never be known.
No excuses
To his credit, Mac Allister has refused to cite Jota’s passing as an excuse for Liverpool’s disappointing campaign.
“Of course, we remember Diogo and it was a difficult time, but I don’t believe that’s the reason this season was so tough for us,” the former Brighton midfielder said. “If you had asked me at the start of the season what I expected, I’d have said this team was built to fight and win competitions. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen.
“We must keep working, because this season hasn’t reflected what this club stands for.”
Sadly for Mac Allister, this campaign hasn’t done justice to his reputation as one of England’s top midfielders either.
Mystifying form
While Salah’s slump has drawn more attention due to his central role in last season’s title success, Mac Allister’s loss of form has been far more puzzling. At 27, age isn’t a factor, and there’s been no public fallout with his manager. Yet, his performances have markedly declined for reasons that remain unclear.
As Roy Keane observed on Sky Sports following Liverpool’s 3-2 defeat to Manchester United at Old Trafford, Mac Allister had “a shocker”. He turned his back on Matheus Cunha’s shot, deflecting it into his own net, misplaced a pass that led to United’s second goal, and mishit a clearance that allowed Kobbie Mainoo to score the winner.
Disappointingly, his poor showing wasn’t a one-off. Many Liverpool fans — who once hailed him among the club’s best signings — have grown concerned as he’s struggled to influence games all season.
‘Legs have gone’
Initially, his problems were attributed to a slow recovery from injuries that cut short his 2024-25 campaign. With Liverpool having already secured the league at the time, he was rested for the final two matches to recover fully for the following season. But his summer preparations were again disrupted by injury, and he hasn’t looked the same since. His defensive stats have dipped dramatically, and he’s frequently been overrun in midfield, leading some fans to claim that his “legs have gone.”
Perhaps it’s simply fatigue. Despite previous fitness issues, no Liverpool player has logged more appearances this season, hinting at overuse. The concern is that he won’t get adequate rest this summer either, as he’s expected to start for Argentina at the upcoming World Cup.
Given his struggles with both form and fitness, it would make little sense for Real Madrid to pursue him now — especially since Liverpool are reportedly open to offers, which itself should serve as a cautionary sign for the Spanish giants.
‘So much talent’
It’s also easy to argue against Madrid reviving their long-standing interest in Mac Allister’s compatriot, Enzo Fernandez.
Unlike his international colleague, Fernandez hasn’t faced form issues this season. On the contrary, he’s enjoying the most productive campaign of his career, scoring 13 goals in 50 appearances across all competitions. The 25-year-old even netted the decisive goal as Chelsea sealed a 1-0 FA Cup semi-final win over Leeds United at Wembley.
“He’s got so much talent,” interim manager Calum McFarlane remarked after the match. “He’s full of fight and hugely important for this group. The best thing about Enzo is his versatility — when things get tough, he’s the one driving the team, making tackles, and fighting for every ball.”
Yet, only five days earlier, Fernandez delivered a performance that contradicted that image entirely.
Not worth the trouble
During Liam Rosenior’s brief and ill-fated tenure, one of his biggest misjudgments was entrusting Fernandez with leadership duties. In Rosenior’s final game against Brighton on April 21, Fernandez — wearing the captain’s armband — failed to win a single tackle in what was a lethargic and uninspired display. He looked like a player who wanted out — and that’s precisely the case. His open flirtation with Real Madrid even prompted Chelsea’s ownership to suspend him for two matches.
He’s not alone in believing Chelsea erred by sacking Enzo Maresca mid-season, and Rosenior’s appointment was undoubtedly questionable. However, Fernandez’s habit of publicly criticising underperforming teammates while pushing for a move to Madrid has caused friction within the dressing room, with some players branding him hypocritical.
It’s also worth recalling that Rui Costa, then Benfica president, was so appalled by Fernandez’s behaviour during his £105 million ($120m) transfer to Chelsea in January 2023 that he resolved to sell the midfielder immediately, refusing to allow him back into the first-team setup.
Considering this history, it’s valid to question whether Fernandez possesses the right temperament for a Real Madrid squad already short on genuine leaders.
There might be some logic in revisiting Mac Allister as a future option — but only if his form returns and the price is reasonable, especially since neither Aurelien Tchouameni nor Eduardo Camavinga has fully convinced on a regular basis.
However, signing Fernandez now would be a mistake. While his ability suits La Liga, Chelsea would likely demand a nine-figure fee for a World Cup winner under contract for six more years — a price far too high for a player with this much baggage.
Real Madrid already have enough players with questionable commitment levels. The last thing they need is another addition to that list.