Michael Carrick has reaffirmed his determination to restore Manchester United to the top of English and European football after officially signing a new two-year contract to continue as head coach.
The former United midfielder, who previously served as captain and part of the coaching staff, has revitalised both results and team spirit since stepping in mid-season following Ruben Amorim’s contentious departure in January.
Under Carrick’s leadership, United secured a place in the Champions League with three matches to spare and confirmed third place in the Premier League after Sunday’s 3-2 victory over Nottingham Forest — marking his 11th win in 16 matches.
The 44-year-old, who has received widespread backing from players and staff, has now been rewarded with a new deal running until 2028. The agreement also includes extensions for his backroom team, whose contracts are currently being finalised.
Speaking to the club’s media, Carrick said, “It’s great to make progress — qualifying for the Champions League and finishing third are positive steps — but my focus is on making this place even stronger.”
He added, “I have to admit, the atmosphere in the stadium on Sunday felt special. There was a real sense of unity and enjoyment among everyone, and that meant a lot to me. Supporting Manchester United and looking forward to what lies ahead should always feel like that. Our drive is to win trophies, and giving that joy to the fans would be truly special.”
Carrick’s new deal extends through to 2028 — a milestone year when United’s co-owners, Ineos, hope to celebrate the club’s 150th anniversary with their first Premier League title since 2013.
The former midfielder was part of that title-winning side under Sir Alex Ferguson and now has the chance to become the first individual to win the Premier League both as a player and as a manager.
“I’d definitely take that right now! That’s the dream and we have to believe in it,” Carrick said. “That’s what this club should aim for. It’s not just about me — though it would be an incredible personal milestone — it’s about seeing Manchester United back lifting trophies and competing for Champions League titles. That’s what motivates me. I know what it takes, and I hope to share that experience with the players so we can keep driving forward.”
The manager acknowledged that next season will bring a “different challenge” after stepping in under unique circumstances. He has been working closely with football director Jason Wilcox to plan for their Champions League return.
“When I came in, I said I couldn’t just focus on the short term,” Carrick explained. “Every decision I made was about building for the future. There’s been planning on my end for how things might look moving forward, and this summer will be crucial. We want to make significant progress if possible.”
Club officials have been equally impressed by Carrick’s leadership and personality, not just his results. After conducting a comprehensive review of potential candidates, football director Jason Wilcox concluded that Carrick was the ideal choice.
Following Wilcox’s recommendation, the final decision — supported by both the Glazers and Sir Jim Ratcliffe — was approved by chief executive Omar Berrada.
Speaking before United’s season finale against Brighton, Wilcox said, “Michael has fully earned the opportunity to continue leading our men’s first team. During his tenure, we’ve witnessed not only improved performances on the pitch but also an approach that resonates with the club’s values, traditions, and rich history.”
He continued, “Michael’s success in taking the team back into the Champions League deserves full recognition. He’s built a strong rapport with the players and helped nurture a winning culture at Carrington and in the dressing room — something we’re determined to keep building upon.”