A major development has emerged at VfB Stuttgart, as questions arise over whether Alexander Nübel’s next move could ultimately open the door for a sensational return to FC Bayern München.
Following the upcoming World Cup, the future of the German goalkeeper appears increasingly uncertain. Early indications hint that Bayern could benefit financially, with Nübel potentially serving as a valuable trade asset in the transfer market.
As previously reported, Alexander Nübel is set to part ways with both FC Bayern and VfB Stuttgart after this season. Three top European clubs—whose identities remain undisclosed—are reportedly competing to sign the 29-year-old shot-stopper on a permanent deal.
A return to Stuttgart now seems out of the question, as Nübel is unwilling to take a significant reduction in his current earnings. The goalkeeper presently earns around €11 million per year, with Bayern contributing €7 million under the existing loan terms. Meanwhile, the Swabian side intends to begin the new campaign with Dennis Seimen, who is currently on loan at SC Paderborn, as their first-choice keeper.
The 20-year-old Germany U21 international has delivered standout performances this season for the East Westphalian club, particularly during Thursday’s first-leg play-off victory over VfL Wolfsburg. “Everyone recognises how much Dennis contributes to the team. I’ve never witnessed anything like it,” teammate Laurin Curda said enthusiastically after the match.
Seimen himself confirmed that he has yet to receive any formal communication from VfB Stuttgart. “It obviously depends on what Alexander Nübel decides and what the management in Stuttgart plans,” he explained, adding, “It’s not really in my hands at the moment.”
Meanwhile, FC Bayern have made it clear that Nübel no longer figures in their long-term plans. Sporting director Christoph Freund recently suggested that despite Nübel’s contract running until 2030, his prospects at the club are slim following Manuel Neuer’s new deal. “We’ve spoken with his representatives, and Alex knows exactly what our intentions are,” Freund said after Bayern’s final Bundesliga game against 1. FC Köln. Referring to Neuer, backup Jonas Urbig, and veteran Sven Ulreich, he added, “Our plan is to go into next season with this trio of goalkeepers.”
However, a final resolution regarding Nübel’s future might not be reached until late summer. Bayern are expected to begin formal discussions with interested clubs only after the DFB Cup final against VfB Stuttgart. The Bavarian giants reportedly hope for interest from a Premier League club that could meet both their transfer fee expectations and Nübel’s salary demands.
His departure would also ease Bayern’s wage bill, potentially freeing funds for other targets such as Anthony Gordon. Furthermore, Nübel could even be used as part of a negotiation strategy with Newcastle United.
Recent reports indicate that Newcastle are planning changes in their goalkeeping department, with Sky reporting their interest in RC Lens’ Robin Risser, valued between €30 million and €40 million.
Meanwhile, Brighton & Hove Albion could step into the market should Bart Verbruggen leave, while Freiburg’s Noah Atubolu has also been linked with both Premier League clubs.
Alexander Nübel: Performance data and career statistics