The US and Iran have just a "50-50" chance of reaching an agreement that would free up the Strait of Hormuz, a senior UAE official said on Friday.
Presidential adviser Anwar Gargash urged Tehran not to overplay its hand in the stop-start negotiations during the West Asia war's fragile ceasefire. Iranian officials "have missed a lot of chances over the years because there's a tendency to overestimate their cards", Gargash said at a forum in Prague. "I hope they don't do that this time."
The oil-rich UAE, which hosts US military facilities, was targeted by about 3,300 drones and missiles during 40 days of war from February 28 onwards, Gargash said, with only around four percent getting through. He said the Iran-blockaded Hormuz, which normally carries a fifth of global oil production, must go back to normal, and cautioned against an inconclusive ceasefire.
Also Read: Rubio coming on a rescue mission to India? Here are the high stakes
"Negotiations just to reach a ceasefire and sow the seeds for further conflict in the future is not what we're seeking," he said. "The Strait of Hormuz clearly has to go back to the status quo and this should be an international waterway."
With US negotiators focusing on Iran's potential development of an atomic weapon, Gargash said: "The Iranian nuclear program was our second or third worry, now it's our first worry."
"Iran is capable of using any weapon that it has in its hands, which is what we learned," he added.
Munir enroute Iran
Meanwhile, Pakistan said its army chief, the favoured interlocutor between Washington and Tehran, is headed to the Iranian capital, signaling progress has been made in talks to end the war.
Field Marshal Asim Munir is making an official visit to Tehran for discussions including US-Iran talks and peace in the region, a Pakistani security official familiar with the matter said in a message to reporters, asking not to be identified because the information isn't public.
Qatar turns mediator
A Qatari negotiating team arrived in Tehran on Friday in coordination with US to try to help secure a peace deal.
Also Read: India great partner, ready to expand energy exports: Marco Rubio
Doha, which has worked as a mediator in the Gaza war and other areas of international tension, had till now distanced itself from playing a mediation role in the Iran war after it came under attack from Iranian missiles and drones during the latest conflict. "A Qatari negotiation team is in Tehran on Friday," the source said, adding that the team had travelled in coordination with the US and was there to help "reach a final deal that would end the war and address outstanding issues with Iran."
Slight Progress in talks: Rubio
Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Friday there was "slight progress" during talks with Iran. Rubio said he didn't want to exaggerate the progress, saying there had been "a little bit of movement and that's good." He said the conversations were ongoing.
Presidential adviser Anwar Gargash urged Tehran not to overplay its hand in the stop-start negotiations during the West Asia war's fragile ceasefire. Iranian officials "have missed a lot of chances over the years because there's a tendency to overestimate their cards", Gargash said at a forum in Prague. "I hope they don't do that this time."
The oil-rich UAE, which hosts US military facilities, was targeted by about 3,300 drones and missiles during 40 days of war from February 28 onwards, Gargash said, with only around four percent getting through. He said the Iran-blockaded Hormuz, which normally carries a fifth of global oil production, must go back to normal, and cautioned against an inconclusive ceasefire.
Also Read: Rubio coming on a rescue mission to India? Here are the high stakes
"Negotiations just to reach a ceasefire and sow the seeds for further conflict in the future is not what we're seeking," he said. "The Strait of Hormuz clearly has to go back to the status quo and this should be an international waterway."
With US negotiators focusing on Iran's potential development of an atomic weapon, Gargash said: "The Iranian nuclear program was our second or third worry, now it's our first worry."
"Iran is capable of using any weapon that it has in its hands, which is what we learned," he added.
Munir enroute Iran
Meanwhile, Pakistan said its army chief, the favoured interlocutor between Washington and Tehran, is headed to the Iranian capital, signaling progress has been made in talks to end the war.
Field Marshal Asim Munir is making an official visit to Tehran for discussions including US-Iran talks and peace in the region, a Pakistani security official familiar with the matter said in a message to reporters, asking not to be identified because the information isn't public.
Qatar turns mediator
A Qatari negotiating team arrived in Tehran on Friday in coordination with US to try to help secure a peace deal.
Also Read: India great partner, ready to expand energy exports: Marco Rubio
Doha, which has worked as a mediator in the Gaza war and other areas of international tension, had till now distanced itself from playing a mediation role in the Iran war after it came under attack from Iranian missiles and drones during the latest conflict. "A Qatari negotiation team is in Tehran on Friday," the source said, adding that the team had travelled in coordination with the US and was there to help "reach a final deal that would end the war and address outstanding issues with Iran."
Slight Progress in talks: Rubio
Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Friday there was "slight progress" during talks with Iran. Rubio said he didn't want to exaggerate the progress, saying there had been "a little bit of movement and that's good." He said the conversations were ongoing.





