‘I still don’t know what happened’ — Ederson opens up on failed Manchester United move
Rohan Mehta August 20, 2026 01:26 PM

Atalanta midfielder Ederson has finally spoken about the collapse of his much-anticipated transfer to Manchester United. Even though the two clubs had agreed a deal, the move broke down at the last stage after a controversial medical assessment.

Confusion over the Old Trafford collapse

The Brazil international looked set for a Premier League switch earlier this summer after Atalanta and Manchester United agreed a fee of around €45m. The plan was for the 27-year-old to complete the transfer after his involvement with Brazil at the 2026 World Cup.

Speaking at a press conference before a Conference League play-off against Hapoel Tel-Aviv, Ederson said he still does not know the exact reason why the transfer failed. “I am very happy to stay with Atalanta. I really thank the club and Luca Percassi. They called me many times, and I felt they were by my side. Even though I had interest from other clubs, after everything that happened, I thought it was best to stay with those who truly wanted me, and that was always Atalanta. I was happy to wear the shirt that has given me so much joy,” he said.

A mystery in the medical room

The decision to call off the transfer surprised many people, especially because Ederson has been a consistent performer in Serie A and has had a clean bill of health. Although the move collapsed after the Premier League club raised concerns over knee issues during his medical — leading him instead to sign an extension in Bergamo until 2031 — there was speculation that the medical concern may simply have been a convenient reason for a shift in recruitment strategy at Old Trafford.

“I honestly don’t know what happened. I always had interest from other clubs, and I could have gone to another English side. The tests went well; I don’t know what changed. I have been with Atalanta for four years and always played,” the midfielder told Sky Sport Italia. “I could have just waited to see what happened, but the excellent relationship with the club convinced me to stay and sign a new contract.”

Commitment to the Atalanta cause

Despite the disappointment of seeing a dream move to one of the world’s biggest clubs fall through, Ederson is determined to show his fitness and value on the pitch. The Brazilian midfielder — who made 41 appearances for Atalanta in all competitions last season, scoring three goals and providing two assists, before coming on twice as a substitute for Brazil against Haiti and Norway at the World Cup — has quickly turned his focus back to his responsibilities with Maurizio Sarri’s side, where he is now seen as a leading candidate for the captain’s armband.

“I had lovely moments going to the World Cup with Brazil, and then… I still don’t know what happened, to be honest, but the important thing is that I was able to handle the situation, return with the right mentality and give my all to the club that gave me so much. I am still Ederson; everyone knows me here and what I can do, and they know I will always give my all,” Ederson said.

Grateful for the Bergamo support

The midfielder’s decision to commit his long-term future to the Gewiss Stadium has been welcomed by club officials, with Atalanta director Cristiano Giuntoli even calling Ederson their “best new signing” of the summer. Although he is already a familiar figure, the security of his new contract gives a major lift to a side aiming to build on their 2024 Europa League triumph.

“I thank the fans; they are always so passionate and stand by you in good and bad moments. We won the Europa League, had great results, they know me,” he added while looking ahead to the new campaign. “I don’t see myself as a new signing; I have always been an Atalanta player.”

© Copyright @2026 LIDEA. All Rights Reserved.