Manchester United are edging closer to signing Brighton star Carlos Baleba and have been told they must increase their £65 million offer to £70 million to push the transfer through, with Leicester City youngster Louis Page emerging as their next midfield target.
Manchester United first moved for Baleba last summer, agreeing personal terms with him before opening discussions with Brighton. At that point, Brighton wanted £100 million for the Cameroon international, a valuation that quickly cooled United’s interest.
But the Red Devils have returned for Baleba this summer, with his below-par campaign leading Brighton to lower their asking price.
David Ornstein revealed on Wednesday morning that United had submitted an offer of £60 million plus £5 million in add-ons for Baleba.
That proposal was turned down, though Ornstein also said United were ‘closing in’ on reaching an agreement with Brighton.
Sources expect Baleba to complete a move to Old Trafford in a deal worth £70 million.
That stance has now been backed up by The Telegraph’s Luke Edwards, who wrote: ‘BREAKING If Manchester United get to £70m package for Carlos Baleba the deal will get done. Understand Brighton would be willing to part with the player at that price.’
Andy Naylor, The Athletic’s Brighton correspondent, feels there is a strong possibility Baleba will end up at United.
He wrote: ‘On transfers, Minteh (to Liverpool) and Baleba (to Man Utd) will probably both end up happening, as the offers (50m and around 60m) are not that far away from making sense,’
‘Big profits again and moves to big clubs for players given game time + developed. That’s the model.’
The Athletic’s Manchester United correspondent Laurie Whitwell has explained why the club switched focus from Myles Lewis-Skelly to Baleba.
United were exploring the signing of a versatile player capable of strengthening both left-back and central midfield, with Arsenal’s Lewis-Skelly quickly identified as a possible answer.
Intermediaries offered the English player to United, indicating Arsenal might be open to selling him.
However, Whitwell reports that Lewis-Skelly has no desire to leave the club he grew up with. That decision pushed United to revive their pursuit of Baleba instead.
United have already brought in Andrey Santos and Youri Tielemans this summer, and Baleba is now in line to become their third midfield signing.
If the 22-year-old does arrive, INEOS are then expected to plan for the future by making a move for Leicester’s highly rated 18-year-old talent Page.
Journalist Ben Jacobs said: “Is Page still a target for Man Utd? Yes!”
“Man United had a bid rejected last week; I expect them to be back, and the player is likely to be on the move.”
Earlier reports suggested United’s opening bid for Page was worth £10 million, while Leicester are holding out for a bigger fee.