“Europe is prepared to respond,” the EU says as it intensifies its opposition to US tariffs
Rekha Prajapati April 03, 2025 01:27 PM

Brussels [Belgium]: According to Euro News, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said Thursday that the EU was getting ready to increase its actions to defend itself against the US’ retaliatory tariffs.

Von der Leyen urged the US to “move from confrontation to negotiation” after US President Donald Trump declared a 20% tax on European imports, saying the EU is “preparing for further countermeasures” to preserve its interests, according to Euro News.

“The universal tariffs announced by the United States are a major blow to businesses and consumers worldwide,” Von der Leyen said in a post on X. Europe is ready to react. Our beliefs and interests will always be upheld. We’re prepared to participate as well.”

Businesses and consumers throughout the globe are suffering greatly as a result of the US’s proposed global tariffs.

“A first set of countermeasures to steel tariffs is already being finalized. She added on Thursday from Samarkand, Uzbekistan, where she will attend the first-ever EU-Central Asia summit, “And we are now preparing for further countermeasures, to protect our interests and our businesses if negotiations fail.”

“We will also be watching closely what indirect effects these tariffs could have, because we cannot absorb global overcapacity nor will we accept dumping on our market,” she said, according to Euro News.

The EU was placed on a list of 60 “worst offenders” and hit with a higher, customized rate of 20% after the US president set a baseline 10% duty on all nations on Wednesday. Next Wednesday is when the taxes are expected to go into effect.

Additionally, 25% immediate-effect tariffs on cars manufactured outside of the US were announced.

In declarations, Sweden and Ireland have already expressed their “regret” over the new taxes.

“We do not want trade obstacles to increase. A trade war is not what we want. According to Euro News, Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said that doing so will ultimately make the globe more unsafe and our people poorer.

However, Sweden and the Swedish government are ready for what is now taking place. We have world-class public finances and are on strong economic footing,” he said.

In a statement, Ireland’s Tanaiste Simon Harris said that “the EU and Ireland stand ready to find a negotiated solution with the US” and that the group “must remain calm and measured in our response.”

“In the next hours and days, my government colleagues, authorities, and the EU will evaluate the issue and determine the best course of action. In order to safeguard our residents, employees, and enterprises, the EU must react proportionately,” he said.

In a speech to the European Parliament earlier this week, von der Leyen said that the bloc will “approach these negotiations from a position of strength” and that it had several advantages, including commerce, technology, and market size.

In 2023, the EU reported a goods surplus of US$156.6 billion, but a services deficit of €108.6 billion.

According to earlier statements by EU officials, Brussels already has two lists of US products that might be subject to tariffs, one of which includes items that have had taxes deferred since 2018. According to the authorities, more actions that may target services might be required.

Von der Leyen said in her brief speech on Thursday that she is “ready to support any efforts to make the global trading system fit for the realities of the global economy” and that she concurs with Trump “that others are taking advantage of the current rules.”

“But I also want to be clear: Reaching for tariffs as your first and last tool will not fix it,” she said, before adding: “Let’s move from confrontation to negotiation,” according to Euro News.

© Copyright @2025 LIDEA. All Rights Reserved.