The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the Dharmasthala case questioned one of the complainants, Sujata Bhat, for the third consecutive day on Friday.
According to sources, Sujata Bhat, who had previously alleged that her daughter Ananya disappeared from the Dharmasthala temple premises in 2003, reportedly expressed her desire to withdraw the complaint during interrogation.
Investigators noted that she appeared to be under significant pressure and was struggling with the sustained interrogation.
SIT officials found her statements on Friday to be contradictory to her earlier claims, suggesting she was lying and obstructing the legal process.
While Sujata had earlier claimed that the disappearance of her daughter was part of a larger conspiracy, she disclosed the names of certain individuals allegedly involved in it, on Friday.
However, the SIT officials did not confirm the details, stating that the disclosures are being verified.
The case has drawn widespread attention following allegations that the narrative of a missing girl may have been fabricated. The SIT's ongoing efforts are focused on verifying Sujata's claims and finding evidence to substantiate the complaint.
Legal experts said even if Sujata formally withdraws her complaint, the SIT would likely continue the investigation, as the matter involves serious allegations and has already entered the judicial process.
The case, which has triggered political sparring and public debates, remains under close watch, with the SIT expected to submit an interim report in the coming weeks, said a senior police official.
According to sources, Sujata Bhat, who had previously alleged that her daughter Ananya disappeared from the Dharmasthala temple premises in 2003, reportedly expressed her desire to withdraw the complaint during interrogation.
Investigators noted that she appeared to be under significant pressure and was struggling with the sustained interrogation.
SIT officials found her statements on Friday to be contradictory to her earlier claims, suggesting she was lying and obstructing the legal process.
While Sujata had earlier claimed that the disappearance of her daughter was part of a larger conspiracy, she disclosed the names of certain individuals allegedly involved in it, on Friday.
However, the SIT officials did not confirm the details, stating that the disclosures are being verified.
The case has drawn widespread attention following allegations that the narrative of a missing girl may have been fabricated. The SIT's ongoing efforts are focused on verifying Sujata's claims and finding evidence to substantiate the complaint.
Legal experts said even if Sujata formally withdraws her complaint, the SIT would likely continue the investigation, as the matter involves serious allegations and has already entered the judicial process.
The case, which has triggered political sparring and public debates, remains under close watch, with the SIT expected to submit an interim report in the coming weeks, said a senior police official.