Putin humiliated as Ukraine claims major strike on key Russian target fuelling army
Reach Daily Express August 30, 2025 05:39 AM

Ukraine has claimed to have struck a diesel pumping station which provides fuel for Russian forces in an apparent blow to Vladimir Putin's war machine. Ukraine's General Staff said on Friday (August 29) that the facility was hit in the village of Naytopovichi in Bryansk Oblast. The Russian region borders Ukraine and Belarus.

The military said in a statement that the station pumps diesel via petrol product pipelines that mainly supply Russian forces. Ukraine's General Staff said a fire was observed on land where the facility is located and the consequences of the attack are being worked out. Video shared by Ukraine's General Staff appeared to show two explosions and a fire erupting at the facility.

Ukrainian drones have repeatedly struck refineries and other oil infrastructure in recent weeks in a bid to weaken Russia's war economy. Fuel stations in some Russian regions have run dry and prices spiked as a result of the attacks.

Bryansk Oblast's Governor, Alexander Bogomaz, said 18 Ukrainian fixed-wing drones were downed over the region overnight, according to The Kyiv Independent.

He didn't say if there had been any casualties and made no mention of a possible attack on the fuel pumping station.

The facility is reported to be located near the Unecha oil pumping station. It is part of the Druzhba oil pipeline hit in a Ukrainian drone attack on August 21.

That attacked provoked a backlash from Hungary, which receives Russian oil via the same pipeline.

Meanwhile, European defence ministers pledged on Friday to increase support for Ukraine and ramp up pressure on Russia a day after a Russian aerial assault on Kyiv killed 23 people, badly damaged a European diplomatic compound and a British Council building.

Outrage over the attack led Europe's leaders to condemn Russia and to call for tougher measures on Moscow such as seizing frozen assets, further sanctions, increasing support for Ukraine's military and its membership of the European Union.

Authorities in Kyiv declared Friday an official day of mourning. Flags flew at half-staff and all entertainment events were cancelled after Russia hammered Ukraine with almost 600 drones and more than 30 missiles.

Rescue workers pulled 17 people from the rubble after the Kyiv attack, among them four children, according to Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko.

The youngest victim was a two-year-old girl. Authorities said some bodies have yet to be identified and eight people remain unaccounted for. More than 50 people were wounded.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiha said that at his country's request the UN Security Council was due to hold an emergency meeting on Friday in response to the attack.

© Copyright @2025 LIDEA. All Rights Reserved.