Michael Carrick responds after reports that Jose Mourinho wants to sign Diogo Dalot for Real Madrid
Arjun Pillai May 21, 2026 04:59 PM

Manchester United’s interim manager Michael Carrick has made it clear that he does not want Diogo Dalot to depart Old Trafford to reunite with Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid.

Mourinho is preparing for a return to Real Madrid, marking his second stint as manager of Los Blancos. The Portuguese tactician is currently managing Benfica but is expected to leave his position and take charge once again at the Santiago Bernabeu.

With Dani Carvajal set to depart Madrid at the end of the season, Mourinho is eager to bring in a new right-back. Trent Alexander-Arnold currently holds the first-choice right-back position at Madrid after joining from Liverpool in the summer of 2025.

According to TEAMtalk, Mourinho is keen to add competition for Alexander-Arnold and has identified Dalot as a potential target. The report claims that Mourinho has already informed Real Madrid’s hierarchy that he would be open to signing the Portuguese defender.

Mourinho has long been an admirer of Dalot and previously spoke highly of him during his time at Manchester United. Speaking to the club’s official website on December 9, 2018, Mourinho said, “Everybody knows that he has fantastic potential. I don’t want to compare, especially not in terms of titles, but he is probably the same age as Gary Neville when he came into the first team. Perhaps he can follow Neville’s path and spend over a decade as United’s right-back, with excellent conditions to improve, because as I was saying, he’s only 19 years old.”

Since then, Dalot has matured into one of the Premier League’s standout right-backs and is also capable of playing on the left side of defence. Carrick, currently serving as United’s interim boss, is very pleased with the 27-year-old’s performances and, as reported by TEAMtalk, does not want him to leave for Madrid.

Carrick, who is set to take over permanently at Old Trafford, values Dalot highly and wants to continue working with him. Reports suggest that Carrick has made it clear to the club’s management that he does not wish to entertain any offers for the Portuguese international.

The Englishman has reportedly communicated strongly to Manchester United’s hierarchy that Dalot remains a key player in his plans. TEAMtalk added that Dalot’s performances under Carrick have been viewed internally as one of the success stories of Carrick’s managerial tenure so far. Sources indicate that the United boss appreciates Dalot’s consistency and tactical understanding, making him one of his most trusted players.

Carrick’s stance appears to have influenced the club’s decision-makers, with Manchester United’s co-owners, INEOS, now determined to block any potential exit for Dalot in the upcoming summer transfer window. The club is also said to be increasingly open to offering the defender an improved long-term contract.

Dalot is currently under contract with Manchester United until the summer of 2028, and the Premier League club holds an option to extend his deal by an additional year.

© Copyright @2026 LIDEA. All Rights Reserved.