Mumbai anti-encroachment drive: Western Railway clears Rs 600 crore land, violence erupts in Bandra
ET Online May 21, 2026 08:57 PM
Synopsis

Western Railway is conducting a massive anti-encroachment drive in Garib Nagar, Mumbai. Hundreds of structures are being demolished to reclaim valuable railway land. This operation aims to facilitate crucial infrastructure expansion near Bandra station. The drive has faced some resistance and violence. Authorities are proceeding with the demolition under heavy security.

Debris lies scattered during an anti-encroachment drive in the Gareeb Nagar slum area near Bandra railway station, in Mumbai. Authorities launched the demolition drive to clear alleged encroachments on railway land following directions from the Bombay High Court.
Western Railway has begun one of its largest anti-encroachment operations in Mumbai, demolishing hundreds of structures in Garib Nagar near Bandra railway station after receiving clearance from the courts, reports TOI. The drive, which started on Tuesday and continued amid violence on Wednesday, aims to reclaim nearly 5,200 square metres of railway land valued at around Rs 600 crore.

Authorities told TOI the settlement had expanded dangerously close to active railway infrastructure, including Harbour line tracks and overhead electric equipment masts. Several multi-storey structures had reportedly risen above nearby footbridges, raising safety concerns for train operations and future expansion plans.

Legal clearance follows prolonged litigation

Railway officials said proceedings under the Public Premises Act had begun before 2017, with eviction orders issued on November 27, 2017, reports TOI. The matter remained under litigation in the Bombay High Court and later the Supreme Court.


A Bombay High Court order dated April 29 this year, subsequently upheld and not stayed by the Supreme Court, allowed removal of unauthorised structures while protecting those found eligible through a joint survey.

Western Railway stated that around 500 hutments were marked for demolition, while nearly 100 structures identified for rehabilitation or alternate accommodation were spared.

Land earmarked for Bandra station expansion

The reclaimed land is intended for major railway infrastructure expansion around Bandra station. Western Railway plans integrated development for suburban and long-distance operations as part of Mumbai’s future capacity augmentation projects.

Officials said the location is strategically important due to its proximity to the railway corridor and the Bandra-Kurla Complex business district. The settlement has long been viewed as a safety concern and an obstacle to infrastructure integration.

16 arrested for stone-pelting during anti-encroachment drive in Mumbai's Bandra area
16 arrested for stone-pelting during anti-encroachment drive in Mumbai's Bandra area

Heavy security deployment during demolition

The operation began under tight security with deployment of around 400 police personnel, 400 Government Railway Police and Railway Protection Force staff, and nearly 200 railway officials and workers.

Several access points into Garib Nagar were sealed, including the BMC skywalk, Churchgate-end pedestrian bridge and Virar-end foot overbridge exit. Roads around Bandra station and Bandra Terminus were barricaded, causing severe traffic congestion and forcing passengers to walk with luggage after diversions.

Violence breaks out during second day of drive

While the demolition proceeded peacefully in the morning, tensions escalated around 3 pm when officials moved to demolish an allegedly illegal prayer structure near the Bandra East skywalk. Authorities also said a private telecom tower had been installed there without permission.

Police said protesters threw stones, utensils and other objects at demolition teams, prompting a lathicharge. Seven policemen and six protesters were injured, while 10 people were detained, reports TOI.

An FIR was registered at Nirmal Nagar Police Station for unlawful assembly, rioting and assault on government officials. The injured were treated at Bhabha Hospital and VN Desai Hospital, with one policeman and one protester admitted in stable condition. Additional Commissioner of Police Abhinav Deshmukh warned of strict legal action against those involved.

Residents allege lack of rehabilitation support

Several residents claimed they had lived in Garib Nagar for decades and possessed civic documents including house tax receipts, water tax bills and authorised electricity connections issued by the BMC.

Families alleged they were given limited time to vacate and no adequate rehabilitation arrangements before the demolition began. Many were seen sitting outdoors with belongings, including children, senior citizens and newborns, amid intense heat.

Some residents also said the operation began close to Eid celebrations scheduled for May 27. They claimed earlier assurances from political leaders had indicated protection for the settlement and demanded compensation or alternate housing.

By the end of the second day, authorities said nearly 60 per cent of the demolition work had been completed. Western Railway has indicated that the drive will continue until May 23 under heavy security.

(With inputs from TOI)
© Copyright @2026 LIDEA. All Rights Reserved.