Arsenal close to finalising Ezri Konsa deal as Manchester United move for Carlos Baleba gathers pace
Sameer Bhatia August 20, 2026 02:54 AM

19 August 2026

Arsenal are edging closer to completing the signing of Aston Villa defender Ezri Konsa, while Manchester United are also nearing an agreement for Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba.

Villa have meanwhile agreed a deal to bring in Aaron Wan-Bissaka from West Ham on an initial loan with an obligation to buy, and Newcastle United are in discussions with Manchester City over Nico Gonzalez.

Here is a round-up of the latest transfer developments:

According to The Athletic, Arsenal are close to striking a deal for Aston Villa centre-back Ezri Konsa.

The Gunners have been targeting the England international as they seek to add more depth to their defence before the start of the new season.

Konsa has become an important figure for Villa and would offer Mikel Arteta added versatility as well as valuable Premier League experience.

BBC Sport reports that Arsenal would prefer Ethan Nwaneri to go out on loan this summer rather than leave the club on a permanent transfer.

The 19-year-old had an impressive pre-season, but he faces strong competition for places in Arteta’s attacking line-up.

A temporary switch is seen as the best route for Nwaneri to secure regular first-team football and continue his development.

Aston Villa are also poised to reinforce their defensive options after agreeing a deal to sign Aaron Wan-Bissaka from West Ham on an initial loan, again according to BBC Sport.

The arrangement includes an obligation to make the move permanent.

However, Aston Villa have turned down a bid from Al Hilal for striker Ollie Watkins.

The Saudi Pro League club are interested in the England international, but Villa do not want to lose one of their most important attacking players.

The Athletic adds that Manchester United are close to agreeing a deal worth £60 million plus £5 million in add-ons for Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba.

United have been trying to strengthen in central midfield and are now moving towards an agreement with Brighton.

The Athletic also reports that Newcastle United are in talks with Manchester City over a deal for midfielder Nico Gonzalez.

The Spain international only arrived at City from Porto earlier this year, but he could now be set for another move as Newcastle aim to add more quality in midfield.

Meanwhile, The Sun says Crystal Palace midfielder Adam Wharton remains an option for Manchester City as part of their midfield rebuild.

City are still weighing up their choices in that area, and Wharton is one of the names under consideration.

However, according to the Mirror, Barcelona midfielder Gavi has ruled out the possibility of a £35 million move to Manchester United.

United were said to be interested in the Spain international, but Gavi remains committed to Barcelona.

© Copyright @2026 LIDEA. All Rights Reserved.